Saturday, October 2, 2010

When other people's kids make your kids look bad


Just when I was beginning to feel totally normal. Skipping among the other mommy bloggers with my glass of Merlot in one hand and a torn open bag of diapers in the other.
I babysat my friend's kid today, awesome friend, love her to death, always have. Well apparently, her 9 month old son, lets call him Li' B, is the same way. Granted without the great sense of humor, but give him time, people! He's 9 months old for crying out loud!
This child was quiet, a good eater, a good sleeper, didn't whine, cry or grab toys.
You know, when Tyler was 9 months old, I was pregnant, crying in the bathroom at church, wondering how I was going to deal with two of the little monsters, while my son gleefully unrolled the toilet paper.
When Kendyl was 9 months, I wondered why I had had such an issue with Tyler, when obviously he was a Botticelli cupid in comparison to the demon child I had borne after him. Only when she was in bed was she not shrieking on the top of her lungs... which she still does to this day, although they are sounding more like words at least.
Lil' B may have cried quietly 3 times in the 9 hours that I had him. And usually because one of mine had stolen something from him or body checked the little guy.
And he made MY kids good. Most of the evening and late afternoon... when I'm in the most need of a thorazine shot and a lobotomy... all three of them were quietly sitting watching Yo Gabba Gabba, and drinking ice water. Like old men on the front porch.
I don't think my friend should pay me for babysitting. I'm actually thinking of renting her baby for a little peace around the house.
Another idea : Baby Timesharing. But thats a story for another day.
Anyways, the whole point is, my children = chaos and destruction.... other people's kids? Maybe not so much.
Is it the itchy quality of Huggies diapers? The fact I have NEVER used special baby detergent? Some kind of deficiency from never eating vegetables in solid form? Maybe a born-in attribute from my husband and my genetic backgrounds?
I don't know, maybe I'm just doing it all wrong. No one tells me these things.

2 Comments:

At October 3, 2010 at 7:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm what a great baby!! he seems like he will be amazing. I bet his mom/your friend is *utterly* in love with him.

~moo~

 
At October 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and thank you!!!! xoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home