Wednesday, November 3, 2010

When I Grow Up

My whole childhood I wanted to be a veterinarian.

I know, so overplayed in the young girl grow-up plan. But my best friend's dad was a vet, and I had the opportunity to have a lot of behind-the-scenes looks at what being a vet was all about.
My best friend and I took horseback lessons for a second, and I suddenly wanted to be a large animal vet.
I read All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot, and then wanted to be a country vet. (Never mind I grew up in Palm Springs where the country is hard to come by)
Then I wanted to be a wildlife rehabilitator and nurse birds and raccoons and stuff back to health and then release them into the wild. I think after seeing the puppet they use to feed baby condors at the zoo. Either that or a zoo vet. What 11 year old girl doesn't want to midwife tigers?
Years later when the college thing came up, I was going to attend College of the Siskeyous and be a biologist, a geneticist to be exact. Gregor Mendel being my personal hero as far as the sciences go. Visions of creating and identifying and separating filled my head.... mentalizing myself as a mad scientist. At one point I owned 62 pet rats and was trying to customize colors.

But life happened. Life happened hard.
So now I find myself struggling to self motivate to go back to school to get a nursing degree.
I want to work with NICU babies when I grow up now.

7 Comments:

At November 3, 2010 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Erin said...

That is definitely an emotional job! But I am so grateful for my sons NICU nurses, they are AMAZING! So I hope you finish your training and make it to your "grown up job"!

 
At November 4, 2010 at 2:06 AM , Blogger M.Jay. said...

This is probably your calling then, the medical field really seems to be where your heart is at.
Visiting from Mama Kat's

 
At November 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM , Blogger Karen and Gerard said...

Of the two, I'd rather be a vet.

Stopping by from Writer's Workshop. Here's mine: http://zemeks.blogspot.com/2010/11/time-i-feared-for-gerards-safety.html

 
At November 4, 2010 at 4:45 AM , Anonymous erica said...

It takes a special kind of person to work in a NICU. You will do great!

 
At November 4, 2010 at 4:55 AM , Blogger Jerralea said...

62 rats? Oh my, you took it very seriously!

Congrats on your new career. A NICU nurse is a special person. I wish you well!

 
At November 4, 2010 at 5:00 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

I wanted to be a vet for a long time too, then switched to ballerina, till I realized I couldn't dance lol

 
At November 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

With your passion, you really do have what is takes. Go for it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home